Effective July 1, 2010
Our policies and practices have been put in place to comply with the federal Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA) and any provincial privacy legislation.
What is Personal Information?
Personal information is virtually any information about an individual that is recorded in any form. However, information about individuals contained in the following documents is not considered personal information:
- Public telephone directories, where the subscriber can refuse to be listed
- Professional and business information contained in directories or business cards available to the public
- Certain public registries and court records
- Certain other publicly available printed and electronic publications
Our commitment to your privacy is based upon the following privacy principles:
SewKnit is responsible for all personal information under its control, including any personal information that is transferred to third parties for processing, storage or other purposes. We have designated and trained employees who are accountable for compliance with these privacy and security principles.
We will let you know why we collect your personal information
SewKnit will identify the purpose for which your personal information is collected. We will do this before or at the time the information is actually being collected.
We will obtain your consent to collect, use or disclose your personal information
SewKnit obtains your consent to collect, use or disclose personal information. The method of obtaining consent is appropriate to the type of personal information being collected, used or disclosed:
- SewKnit will obtain your express consent (verbal, written or electronic agreement) to collect, use or disclose sensitive personal information such as personal health information in our Pharmacies or Vision Centres or personal financial information.
- SewKnit will use implied consent to collect, use or disclose your personal information where your express consent has previously been given, (ie. recurrent prescriptions) You can change your consent preferences at any time by contacting us. To change your preferences, refer to the "How to contact us" section below.
We will limit collection of your personal information
SewKnit collects only the information required to provide products and services to you. If the personal information we require is collected for a reason other than to provide products and services, your consent will be obtained before or at the time the information is collected. SewKnit will collect personal information only by clear, fair and lawful means.
Examples of why we collect personal information include:
- Communicating with you generally.
- Processing your applications.
- Processing and keeping track of transactions and reporting back to you.
- Preventing fraud or error.
- Providing product and services requested by you.
- Recommending products and services that SewKnit believes will be of interest and provide value to you.
- To comply with legal and governmental requirements.
We will limit use, disclosure and retention of your personal information
SewKnit uses and discloses your personal information only for the purposes for which it was collected. SewKnit does not sell or rent personal information to any organization or person for any reason.
We do not share your personal information with third party organizations except to offer you a product or service. If your personal information is shared with third parties, these third parties are bound by agreements with SewKnit to secure and protect the confidentiality of your personal information. SewKnit retains your personal information only as long as it is required for our business relationship or as required by federal and provincial laws.
We will keep your personal information up-to-date and accurate
SewKnit keeps your personal information which you provide to us up-to-date, accurate and relevant for its intended use. You may request access to the personal information we have on record in order to review and amend the information, as appropriate. In situations where your personal information has been provided by a third party, we will refer you to that party (e.g. credit bureaus). To access your personal information, refer to the "How to contact us" section below.
We will keep your personal information secure
We take all appropriate steps to keep your personal information secure, regardless of the format in which it is held, including:
- Physical security measures - restricted access facilities and locked filing cabinets
- Electronic security measures - for computerized personal information such as password protection, database encryption and anonymous personal identification numbers
- Organizational security measures - such as limiting access to your personal information to a selected group of individuals
- Contractual security measures - obligations with third parties who need access to your personal information requiring them to protect and secure your personal information.
We will provide you access to your personal information stored by SewKnit
You can request access to your personal information stored by SewKnit. To contact us, refer to the "How to contact us" section below.
Upon receiving such a request, SewKnit will:
- Inform you about what type of personal information we have on record or in our control, how it is used and to whom it may have been disclosed
- Provide you with access to your information so you can review and verify its accuracy and request changes to the information
- Make any necessary updates to your personal information.
We will respond to your questions, concerns and complaints about privacy
SewKnit will respond in a timely manner to your questions, concerns and complaints about the privacy of your personal information and our privacy policies and procedures.
- How to contact us
- By telephone to SewKnit Customer Relations at (416) 752-1828 or 1-800-836-6536
- by mail to SewKnit Customer Relations, 15 Gower Street, Toronto, Ontario, M4B 1E3
If your questions, concerns and complaints have not been resolved to your satisfaction or if you have further questions, you can contact SewKnit's Chief Privacy Officer by mail at Chief Privacy Officer c/o Sew'n Knit'n Serge Outlet, 15 Gower Street, Toronto, Ontario, M4B 1E3